History of the School
There has been a school located on the current site since 1613.
Lutterworth Grammar School was built in 1880 to provide a 'middle class school' for 50 boarders and day scholars. The school took boys only and aimed to give them a classical education - girls were not admitted until 1902. In 1881 the school had approximately 30 pupils with 4 masters. The school motto, 'Sapere Aude', was chosen in 1923 by the Headmaster because it had 'the merit of impeccable sentiment, combined with brevity'. The motto, which translates as 'Dare to be Wise' surrounds the shield which has two wheels, denoting the rural area in which the school is located and the bible, referring to John Wycliffe. Today many of the pupils who attend the school live locally while others travel from many miles away. The school has undergone a transformation over recent years and yet seeks to preserve its traditions as the life blood of the community. It is fair to say that the affection shared by past and present students remains strong in the hearts of a great number of individuals.
In 2006, Governors agreed to change the school’s name to Lutterworth College, to reflect the fact that we are not a selective institution, but rather an inclusive one. As the school has grown in size (from around 750 in 1967 to around 1900 in 2014) the facilities have grown and improved, yet the site remains in a beautiful setting in rural Leicestershire. In 2015 the school welcomed its first cohort of Year 7 pupils due to the college age range change from 14-19 to 11-19.